GilletÂ Â Â 1929Â Â âSportâÂ 498 cc OHVÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â frame & engine # 31835 The first Gillets –Â built inÂ Herstal near Liege, Belgium – were designed byÂ Fernand Laguesse and brought out in 1920. TheyÂ wereÂ unit-design 300ccÂ two-strokes with belt drive. The design was simple, rugged and reliable and soon the company was an established and successful motorcycle manufacturer. Many long-distance runs were made and the two-strokes were very prominent in races. From June to December 1926 two Frenchmen rode their Gillets for a distance of 25,000 kilometres and covered almost all continents of the world. No real problems occurred with the machines and from December 1926 the venerableÂ two-stroke was named the âTour du Mondeâ. AÂ 84 x 90 sporting 500 cc four-stroke, the âSportâÂ was designed byÂ brother Armand Laguesse and presentedÂ at the end of 1926. In 1928 some models got saddle tanks andÂ a racing version ofÂ theÂ âSportâ modelÂ broke many world records at the Monthlery track in France. Some new featuresÂ forÂ model year 1929 were saddle tanks for all models,Â the enclosure of the pushrods and rockers and theÂ repositioning of the gear change rod to the nearside of the engine. ThisÂ change necessitatedÂ a cutaway in the oil tank. Various Belgian manufacturers choose the best of both worlds as far as proprietary parts were concerned. That meant choosing Bosch for lighting and Amac for carburetionÂ with Gillet. This Dutch-registered, purposeful looking Sport is fitted with LucasÂ Â magneto, theÂ lightingÂ system is powered by the battery. Sheâs been restored with care and goes very well.